Skip to content
- Use natural heating by opening your blinds or curtains on sunny days, and close them at night to keep the heat inside. If you feel cold, consider adding a layer of clothing before turning the heat up.
- Using door snakes (or a rolled up towel) at the bottom of your doors leading outside, to a basement or an attic can prevent heat from escaping.
- If you’re not using your fireplace, keep the damper closed.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans. This will circulate heated air that rises down to where you need it.
- Turn your thermostat down 10-15 degrees for 8 hours at night when you’re sleeping or during the day when you’re at work. This will save you about 10% per year on your heating bills.
- Close heating vents or doors of rooms in your home that aren’t being used.